Thursday, December 18, 2008

John Salazar our New Appropriations Committee Member

Now that Colorado's 3rd Congressional District has a member of Congress that is a member of the House's all powerful "money committee", now we can start asking for our "Bridges to Nowhere", right? The pork should really start rolling into the district (can you say "high speed rail").

I think I have a new idea to this notion of pork barrel spending let me just throw it out there to see what you think....

Instead of getting important committee slots and money for the district based on; how well you are liked by, or what you have done for the Represenitive of Califorina's 8th congressional district. Why don't we use a reward system to implement money to the states. It would go something like this....

If, as a Congressman, you wanted a bunch of money for say "High Speed Rail" and you went to Congress and asked "Can you give me some money for High Speed Rail?" the question you would be asked is "How many credits do you have for your district? If you have enough credits then we can allow for you to have the money pending approval of the Senate and President."

How would you earn these credits for your district? The way credits are earned is through savings of other money. So let's say you found a better tax system for the United States called the Fair Tax, and it saved (or in this case, earned) the country $100 billion dollars a year. So you wrote the bill and it was passed. So now that the bill was passed and the country was saving 100 billion a year, we have the money to give your district a credit. We can set the credit at like 20% of the realized savings. So a year or two down the road we need high speed rail that costs say 10 billion we have the credits already so, easy donoughts, here is your 10 billion for your high speed rail. The represenitive gets lounded as a "great man and has a train named after him" We save money and all is good.

But you know if Congress can find a way to corrupt the system they will, so I guess we just have to see if Rep. Salazar has done what he was asked to do by Nancy and Company, to see if we in the Third get any of Washington's magic money for projects in our district. I'm not to worried cause Wahington doesn't mind giving away our money cause they know they can always print more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Plumb and Square are moderated. Comments made within 7 days of the posting will post right away. If you make a comment after 7 days of the posting, the comment will not post right away. I will be notified of your comment and I will approve the comment. I do not discriminate, I will post favorable and unfavorable comments. I will not post "sales" comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails