What is the lifespan of democracy? Lord Thomas B. Macaulay, in May of 1857, states that a Democracy lasts about 200 years on average and goes through these stages:
From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage.
What stage do you think we are in?
Monday, October 5, 2009
6 comments:
Comments on Plumb and Square are moderated. Comments made within 7 days of the posting will post right away. If you make a comment after 7 days of the posting, the comment will not post right away. I will be notified of your comment and I will approve the comment. I do not discriminate, I will post favorable and unfavorable comments. I will not post "sales" comments.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete(Oops) What I meant to post was:
ReplyDelete152 years after that statement and 232 years after the Declaration of Independence I would say that the United States remains the shining city on the hill, the greatest experiment in self-government in the history of the world and viable for generations yet unborn. The beauty lies in the Constitution, with it's delicate yet durable checks, balances and carefully constructed tensions between government and governed, between majority and minority. As long as individual citizens remain committed to those ideals and are willing to defend them, we will not lapse into apathy or back into slavery!
America has already lapsed into apathy and is on the razor's edge of bondage. "We the People" have but one course and that is to stand up to progressive government that desires the power of socialism and take our country back. Too many have died to support and defend the Constitution of the United States for me to hide my head in the sand and wish. When we hide from the truth we invite satan to rule this nation.
ReplyDeleteI would like to jump on board and say yes we are at the stage of bondage and we the people can snatch it back and go back to??? Therein lies the question. So many of us see what is wrong with our government and do not like the direction our empire is going and yet if we change the direction where do we go? Do we go in reverse order or Lord Thomas B. Macaulay's list? We still end up in bondage. Is there a way to just stop at the abundance stage? In my opinion it is unavoidable. What goes up must come down someone with a funny hair do once said. I believe him.
ReplyDeletedemocracy; the tyranny of the majority. Anthony
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteThe recent presidential election signifies that we are in Stage 7: Dependency. Wishfully I am totally wrong. Reality tells me that too many persons have learned that they will be supported without laboring. And they will vote for the candidate promising the most freebies. They actually believe there is a Santa Claus. They have been convinced that those who work should support those who don't want to work. God bless America!