Sunday, October 17, 2010

Amendments P, Q, and R and Proposistion 102

Bookmark and Share

I believe this photo fits the alphabet soup we have for amendment and proposition names. I thought I would give a run down on what I think of as the "minor amendments" and proposition.

Amendment P
This is an amendment to change the regulation of gaming currently done by the Colorado Department of State to the Department of Revenue. To me it makes more since that the Department of Revenue regulates a source of revenue and not the department that regulates elections. Any time you can separate elections from money I think it is a good thing. My Vote: YES

Amendment Q 
This is an amendment that gives an official plan to move the seat of government to a different location in case of an emergency.  Only took 9 years after 9/11 to come up with this idea. My Vote: YES

Amendment R
This exempts taxes for people who have "possessory interest" fees from those interests valued less than $6,000. Now in English; it means we quit collecting taxes from people whose tax bill is lower than the cost to collect the tax. This is the quandary of the 25 cent phone bill. Would you mail out a late notice on a 25 cent phone bill? The cost of the stamp is more than the bill. My Vote: YES

Proposition 102
This changes the criteria for release to pretrial service programs. What that means is if a criminal is in jail on a minor offense they must post bail or use a secure bond (bondsman) and not use pretrial services. To me this sounds like a way for bail bondsman to make more money. The argument for this proposition is that more people would show up to court if they are already in jail.  While that may be true, it sounds expensive to me. Housing people in jail for minor offenses costs a  lot of money and would end up with us having to build yet more beds for the jails. My Vote: NO

1 comment:

  1. T-S

    Thanks for your insight. I will vote in kind.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on Plumb and Square are moderated. Comments made within 7 days of the posting will post right away. If you make a comment after 7 days of the posting, the comment will not post right away. I will be notified of your comment and I will approve the comment. I do not discriminate, I will post favorable and unfavorable comments. I will not post "sales" comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails