As part of a cultural outreach, The Grand Junction is opening a new strip club, oh am I excited....NOT! I have heard the arguments for a strip club and I understand them; freedom of speech, I approve of, or I wouldn't have a blog. Last time I was in a strip club, the dancers didn't do much speaking though, just dancing. Capitalism is the next, you want to invest your money in an enterprise to make money go right ahead, your money, risk, your reward or failure.
What I have a problem with is the basic immorality of a strip club. Strip clubs invite bad behavior. I lived in the small town of Elko in Northern Nevada for 10 years. This is a town where prostitution houses and gambling are legal. Casinos have awesome security so there was seldom a problem with them, and when people went to a prostitution house they didn't just hang out all night getting drunk and rowdy with their friends. They went, did what they were paying for and left, no drunkenness, no rowdiness. Don't get me wrong I DO NOT approve of prostitution either, but because it tears apart families and degrades women, not because of the drunken rowdiness of the business.
The problems in Elko were at the strip bar. Drunken jealousy, over a woman they can't have, turns into a fight. Or patrons would get "worked up" and try to do something inappropriate with women that did not want that done, often at a neighboring bar once the stripping stopped for the night. Or just the basic thinking that a strip bar is a immoral type of environment, so they did drugs or sold drugs in the open, then there was the underage drinking problem.
Another problem I have with the new strip club is that it is going to make my job a bit more difficult. You see I am the Maintenance Engineer at a motel less than a mile from the new strip club. Part of my job is the security of the motel property. I will do everything in my power to insure that the patrons of this new establishment will not become a problem around our establishment. I must plan for the worst and hope for the best. I will have direct line to the GJ police department so I hope they can keep up.
Friday, May 8, 2009
7 comments:
Comments on Plumb and Square are moderated. Comments made within 7 days of the posting will post right away. If you make a comment after 7 days of the posting, the comment will not post right away. I will be notified of your comment and I will approve the comment. I do not discriminate, I will post favorable and unfavorable comments. I will not post "sales" comments.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good points, sir. How anyone with a veneer of respectability stand up and advocate this kind of "community enhancement" is beyond me. I also understand your concern about your workplace, especially if you get a lot of trucker clientele.
ReplyDeleteI think that the location of the "gentlemen's" club is aimed straight at the trucking industry. The provocative billboards will start to pop up on I-70 just after the opening, just like they are along I-70 in SW Pa. and West Virginia, or I-80 in Illinois.
I would personally like to rent a billboard and put up the following:
WELCOME TO GRAND JUNCTION
A Community of Distinction
Looking for hot action? Keep Driving.
I am a dancer, and I work in Elko and in different cities in Wyoming. There is nothing wrong with a strip bar. I deal with respectable clientele all the time. Putting in an establishment for entertainment purposes, is not disgraceful. I have been a dancer for several years and have personally only seen one bar fight in a strip club. When I go out to a club, though, I have had men fight over me or my friends, for no good reason. Men, for the most part realize that we are unattainable. I am working to myself through school as a single mother. There is nothing wrong with men supporting that. I feel a club in Grand Junction would be a huge success.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the dancer. There is freedom of "speech" and if a dancer wants to exersize the amendment this way, she should be able to. When you say "tears apart families and degrades women", that makes you sound ignorant. First off all, the visitors that potentially visit these establishments are the ones that "tear apart families" and if the women felt "degraded", they would not be there dancing. I know what you are thinking, I am some trucker that frequents these establishments. No. I have a respectable job and have only been to a strip club once. Let these women do what they want to do. Let them make a living. It takes everyone.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, every person on earth has to experience and learn sooo much in life to get to the place where you think you're coming from. Too bad we aren't all born with the same "mindset" of being; honest & loving, peaceful, giving & compassionate-Godly people with all the right answers. And if we all agreed to always do the "right thing" and actually "DID" it, then we could all spend more of our energies doing "all of the above" and we wouldn't have any of these conflicts that cause all the problems people have with each other. That would be my greatest wish so then we don't have to go on the offensive and chastise all those individuals that aren't quite up to speed "morally or spiritually", or on the other hand not having to be on the defensive for being chastised by those that think that "they" are up to speed "morally or spiritually". Maybe we should divide the world in half and all the "right" people would go to the right side and all the "wrong" people would go on the left side... Then the world would tilt to the left and all the "wrong" people would fall off. :) Frankly, I'm ready for my very own deserted island where I can feel safe and be left alone from everybody that thinks I need to be governed. I'm just worn down from all the fighting and disagreeing. I just want to be free to be me... Love, Ging
ReplyDeleteim Vance long and i would love to be a security guard at that club
ReplyDeleteI think the women who work at these clubs are nothing but a bunch on home wrecking bitches. Who want to take our man's hard earned money for a few minutes of ass shaking. This women are disgusting trash. So are the men who go. We don't need this shit here go shake your tits somewhere else bitches.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your point, boss. But isn't it fun to chase the creeps and whores from the property? At least it gives us something to talk about for the rest of the day! =D
ReplyDelete