Sunday, March 14, 2010

Acting and Politics Don't Mix

This last couple of weeks there were two different actors that said questionable things. First, Sean Penn said, "every day, this elected leader [Hugo Chavez] is called a dictator here, and we just accept it! And accept it. And this is mainstream media, who should – truly, there should be a bar by which one goes to prison for these kinds of lies."

The second one is Tom Hanks saying "Back in World War II,we viewed the Japanese as 'yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods. They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what's going on today?"

My opinion on Hollywood stars who say stupid things is, that they have the same right to say stupid things as I have. Just as I have a right to say the opposing view and not go to jail (this is where Sean and I differ). In Sean Penn's case he would like you to go to jail if you call Hugo Chavez a murderous, election stealing, thug dictator. I also have a right to not attend any of movies that Sean Penn has participated (usually not a problem). Sean Penn also has the same rights as I have and emigrate to Venezuela, I'm sure Hugo would be happy with Sean as a citizen there.

I like Tom Hanks, on the silver screen. Saving Private Ryan is one if my favorite movies (I love historical movies). I disagree with him that the war in the pacific was racist. We did not kill Japanese people because they were yellow or Buddhist's. We killed Japanese because they tried to kill us first. Just like we attacked the terrorists because they attacked us first. They did not discriminate when they dived bombed Hawaii and we did not discriminate when we flew Enola Gay over Hiroshima. Everybody was killed equally. We just did a better job.

I have a theory about Hollywood actors; I think that more "real world" experience they have, the more centered they become. Let me explain. If an actor grows up in a house where he was a child star or his parents were actors, they really have never experienced the real world. They never have worked so hard physically, they wanted to cry or tried to figure out what utility gets shut off because they don't have the money.

Just think about their chosen profession. The entire profession is to be the best liar you can be, to make people believe that you really are the character on the screen. Now look at their personal relationships, always getting married then divorced, married then divorced. The couples are so practiced at lying that they don't even tell each other the truth. It's kinda like playing pool with a carpenter your bound to lose because they know all the angles.

My point is just because they are "rich and famous" does not make what an actor says any better information. Actors have a stage that is all. If you believe what they say without question, you are the stupid one. If Sean Penn wants to be a socialist, more power to him. If Tom Hanks wants to think that World War 2 was racist, oh well. We don't have to listen to these people. In the big picture they are still just one vote. If you find their information flawed enough, don't buy their product. That is the American way.


1 comment:

  1. When I read the title of your post the names "Reagan" and "Arnold" immediately sprang to mind, but you made good points here. Those two at least tried their hand at getting involved. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on Plumb and Square are moderated. Comments made within 7 days of the posting will post right away. If you make a comment after 7 days of the posting, the comment will not post right away. I will be notified of your comment and I will approve the comment. I do not discriminate, I will post favorable and unfavorable comments. I will not post "sales" comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails