Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What can I do about the Health Care Law?

Gene, at Living the Grand Life, wrote in his post Get up - get moving , "One battle is not the whole war. The Socialist Democratic Party won this round, it's not over. Don't feed into gloom predictions about how hard it is to overturn entitlement legislation. That would be like a general fighting the last war."  I could not agree more with that paragraph.

There are currently lawsuits being filed all over the country about the health care law's constitutionality. There are amendments to the reconciliation bill being proposed in the Senate. So what can we do as average citizens?

VOTE


The most effective method that we as citizens have to change anything is, through the ballot box. So when the primary election comes around (in Colorado that is in August), take the time and vote for the candidate that best matches your values and principles. When the general election comes around, vote. 

Let me take a second and explain why even the elections that seem "less important" are very important in these times.  Of course, the government that is closest to you will change your life the most. Your school board will decide everything from when your kids go to class and how much that new school addition will cost. The city council decides when your road gets paved or what you pay in sales taxes, and so on... 

The coming election in November is important to start the cleaning out of the House of Representatives. What I believe is more important is, the elections of your state legislatures and Governors. These state elections will decide who in your state is doing the redistricting that will occur with the completion of the 2010 census. Just because your state does not gain or loose a congressional seat, does not mean the district boundaries do not change. They are all redrawn to reflect the population changes.  Those district changes are how a political party can control the House of Representatives. 

Don't let up

Don't let your elected officials breath. Question everything they are doing. They have built a level of distrust among the American people, and we need to hold them accountable. There will be more garbage being throw at us in the coming months; like amnesty, cap and trade, and card check. They have woke a "sleeping giant" in the American people. I don't know about you but I get mad when I am woke up.

Educate yourself

Everybody hated that civics class you took in junior high (middle school for the younger folks). It was boring and and they "made you take it" . There was a question you may have asked back then; "When will I ever use this class?"  The answer is; you can use it now. I don't suggest that you become a political geek like me, but I do believe you should refresh yourself on the basics.  I look at it like this: If I never learned to count money, I would never know if somebody was ripping me off. Same principle with politics, if you don't know the basics you don't know if they are stealing your liberty.

Get informed

Learn what is going on from multiple places. This is a great age of communication. Use it.  Don't believe one source about an issue. One person does not have all the answers. Read all the good and bad. The more information you have, the better decisions you can make that match your values.

Remember the passage of the health care bill is just a battle, not the war. Rahm Emanuel once said,  "Never let a crisis go to waste." Well the socialist takeover of our government is a pretty big crisis, so let's not let it go to waste. Get educated, get informed, and don't letup until we vote these crooks out of office.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Plumb and Square are moderated. Comments made within 7 days of the posting will post right away. If you make a comment after 7 days of the posting, the comment will not post right away. I will be notified of your comment and I will approve the comment. I do not discriminate, I will post favorable and unfavorable comments. I will not post "sales" comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails