Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Grand Junction and Amendments 60, 61, Prop 101

I read an article today in the Daily Sentinel that states that ballot issues for Amendments 60 and 61 and Proposition 101 would cost the city 10% of it's budget next year.

Please realize that as of this writing I have not read the actual measures, just going off the information in the article.

I will go measure by measure, then give my opinion as it relates to the City of Grand Junction.

Amendment 60: This requires that a government can not extend your property taxes without voter approval. Voter approval would happen every 4 years. Limits mill levies and forces the state to make-up the shortfall. Humm, accountability to the voters that doesn't sound bad to me. It also sounds like it would limit the amount of debt incurred by government.

Amendment 61: This would limit the amount of money that a government could borrow without voter approval, including leases. Hummm, even more accountability to the voters, that's good. Larger limits on the amount of debt that a government can have, sounding even better.

Proposition 101: Decreases ownership fees for vehicles, limits sales taxes on vehicles over $10,000. Cancels lease fees and rental fees on vehicles, eliminates telecommunications taxes and lowers income taxes. Hummmm, lower taxes and fees, sounds best so far.

When the whole country is in a recession it is amazing what happens. As a business you learn to not spend money, except on the critical items, you cut back, you make due with what you have. A family does the same thing. They make the small cuts to save the big stuff. With government they seem to think they are impervious to the the poor economy. They keep spending like it is a boom time. They don't plan for the future. They are like a spoiled child that wants everything NOW! Well Vercua, you can't have it now. You are elected by the people and are accountable to the people. The first sign of good legislation is when the bureaucrats come out and say: "We can't do that or it is impossible".

The above measures would cut the city budget by about 10%. What is wrong with that? I would be willing to bet that every department in the city could cut 10% with little problem. The people and the businesses in this town have cut much more than that over the last year, maybe it is time for government to do the same.

What if this happens... you cut all these taxes, making Colorado more attractive to businesses, they move in, adding jobs and even more money to the state and local coffers. Maybe there is two sides to every coin. Accountability in government is a good thing and I think I like these budget measures already.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind words on the three ballot issues.
    Please visit COtaxreforms.com and volunteer to help.
    A Western Slope volunteer will then contact you.

    You may also download the Flier and distribute paper copies, or email it to your email list in Colorado.

    We are the real grassroots group. Please join us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about you read them then see if you still think they are a good idea or if you realize that they are way too extreme for Colorado? No one reasonable supports these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to look at the effects these three ballot initiatives will have on your local government. Read them all in depth, they seem great, but once you read them you will see the damage they can cause. Small towns will not be able to function like they once did, street and bridge repair will not exist, police and firefighter will be laid off, emergency services will be cut, the list goes on and on. I am not one for the Government controlling me, but I am one for keeping the public safe, and for keeping jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well unfortunetaly I think most people will share your view on prop 101. But when the parks are overgrown and the swimming pool shuts down and your kids cant play or your house is on fire and there aren't enough fire fighters or your house is being robbed with your wife in danger of being raped and because our police force has been cut down (even though they are already 20 cops under staffed)... then what?!? Well golly gee... thankfully I get a break on my cars sales tax. I hope everyone will stop and think of this before voting on prop 101.
    -- Concerned wife of a city employee

    ReplyDelete
  5. VOTE YES ON 60 61 & 101
    DON'T LISTEN TO THE GOVERNMENT PORK

    We finally can vote to keep our money directly. No more DMV ripoffs, pork spending, or wasting my money.

    The money we save will come from Colorado State Funding as people are saying, if these pass. They will take the money from overpaid state employees, congress and pure pork and finally streamline spending. Plus k-12 is protected, where is your argument now. Only overpriced universities are not covered, and they should not get my tax dollars. Compete like the rest of private education.

    I think these measures are great. It is about time someone wrote some initiatives to actually help us keep our money. The government is out of control. It is so important that Coloradans vote yes on these issues because we are overtaxed and the money is not going where we want. This reigns in the pork where it counts in my pocket. Whoever wrote these. You are my hero. Maybe next year you guys can bring back some more tabor measures too.

    As for the government, listen up. I read your cons to these measures and they are total BS. I don't care about DMV or state workers, police, firefighter, etc. Coloradans can't put food on the table and you need to have some cuts too. These defenses are not going to work this election. You guys should not be getting my money. I also care that CU Boulder is getting my money, why. They make enough money and colleges should not be paid by me. Your arguments are crap. I cannot imagine why anyone would not vote for these measures.

    MY FELLOW COLORADANS, PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU TO READ THESE MEASURES. THERE IS A REASON THAT MANY POLITICIANS ARE AGAINST IT. WE HAVE A CHANCE TO RIGHT THE WRONGS THIS ELECTION.

    THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sad thing about this is:
    Most sit at home with Dancing with the Stars and dribble on their lips and nothing in between their ears. They see an add on TV that says "Colorado will loose jobs" and they freek and vote for more taxes on themselves. Who votes for more taxes on themselves??? Who can be this ignorant to desire to pay more to the theives in government?? How dumb can our people be?
    This regulates car taxes to 10/yr not 500-1000 like it is now?? Who cares if a few people loose their job if you and your family can keep more of your money?
    Why is there even a question about these issues??
    Vote yes on 60, 61 & 101 and LIMIT GOVERNMENT

    ReplyDelete

Comments on Plumb and Square are moderated. Comments made within 7 days of the posting will post right away. If you make a comment after 7 days of the posting, the comment will not post right away. I will be notified of your comment and I will approve the comment. I do not discriminate, I will post favorable and unfavorable comments. I will not post "sales" comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails