Friday, January 22, 2010

The State of Nanny (Colorado)

Is Colorado becoming an nanny state? You read the news lately, and you could believe that to be true. I always thought of Colorado as a "do-it-yourself-leave-me-alone" kind of place, but now the government wants to be increasingly more intrusive into our lives.

Here are some top stories today:

Bill would require high school mascots to get Colorado OK (Denver Post)

If your school happens to be called the Central Warriors, you will have to get permission to use that moniker or else you get a BIG fine. Glad you could watch my back Colorado. I would hate to make somebody mad at me in this politically correct world of ours.

Tax on Cola and Candy may return (ABC Channel 7 News)

I'm not sure if you will give up soda on a 4 cent tax (I won't), but the government sure wants you to give it up. The other portion of the bill about computer software being taxed should stop one thing in the state ....growth. If I was an industry and had to buy a $100,000 software product (believe me they are out there) to upgrade my business, I might look to another state to buy that software, or I might even move on of Colorado to avoid the costly price of doing business here.

Greeley council votes to nix the chicks (Greeley Tribune)


If you don't like that there are chickens in your neighbors yard, I've got three solutions: Move, Don't move there to begin with, or chicken soup.

Colorado State releases draft of campus gun ban (9News)

Ask the victims of Virgina Tech if they would have liked to have a firearm on that terrible day, oh that's right you can't because they are no longer alive.


I think it is time we got the State off our backs and our of our lives. We are Coloradoans, the rugged individual kind of people. We don't need someone else telling us what to do. Maybe there are laws to protect the rest of us in case you do something real stupid (ie: drunk driving). But if like someone else telling you that you can't have that candy bar and a cola as you play Doom (or whatever the popular game is today) because it is bad for you, that is ridiculous.

Attention legislators: Give me liberty in Colorado, not rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Plumb and Square are moderated. Comments made within 7 days of the posting will post right away. If you make a comment after 7 days of the posting, the comment will not post right away. I will be notified of your comment and I will approve the comment. I do not discriminate, I will post favorable and unfavorable comments. I will not post "sales" comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails