Saturday, April 17, 2010

For Sale: One Yard or Garage or Whatever


A few weeks ago we got a notice from our HOA that the weekend of April 16th and 17th would be "Yard Sale Weekend". The suggestion was that everybody in the neighborhood have a yard or garage sale. The idea is that with all those yard sales going on, we would get more "customers" as well as get to know your neighbors. Mrs. T. and I discussed it and thought we would give it a try and put the notice on the refrigerator so we would remember the event and have time to prepare.

The note hung on the fridge, staring at me every time I grabbed a sandwich and I kept thinking "I should get ready for that thing." So last night I saw the "reminder notice" of the yard sale and realized that the weekend for the sale was this weekend. My first instinct was to just bail out of the deal and keep those "valuable" possessions for another 10 years. But after some thought I decided to give the yard sale the "ole college try." All well and good except, I never attended college so giving something a college try is not really in my vocabulary.

So bright and early this morning we started collecting all the marginally valuable stuff in our house. That is when I read the yard sale flyer about the dates of the sale. That is when I noticed that the sale was actually was for Friday and Saturday, not Saturday and Sunday. So to start with I was already one day behind in all this community fellowship and great sales opportunities. Now the pressure was on and I only had hurry up and get all my "Quality Merchandise" ready for sale.

So after 3 hours of digging for stuff, moving stuff, improvising tables, cleaning of stuff, and pricing we were all ready for big sale. I would like to tell you it was all ready by 7am for the first flood of customers. Nope we were ready by 10. We had our first sale by about 10:05 and I was all excited an ready to go. I had figured at this rate we would have everything sold by noon and we could pack it all up. I know now that was just a fantasy.

The first hour went pretty smooth and we had about a half dozen customers. The second hour we had one customer and it went down hill from there. We did notice that we were the only folks on our block that actually had a sale going on, so I guess the meet your neighbors thing was out. I love talking to Mrs. T. , So that is how we spent our afternoon...Talking, doing yard work, washing my car. What we did not do is sell anything.

After the sale we got to spend another couple of hours putting away the junk we tried to sell. Cleaning up the driveway, and picking up the signs. That is when I came to the conclusion that there are few things in this world that I dislike more than having a yard sale, but right now I can't think of one.

What I do know is I got to spend the whole day with my family, no TV, no computer, just us talking, laughing and enjoying each others company. I know we are going to be doing more of that, without the yard sale.

Yard sale supplies...$10
Total sales ...$42....
Spending a Saturday with Mrs. T..... Priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Plumb and Square are moderated. Comments made within 7 days of the posting will post right away. If you make a comment after 7 days of the posting, the comment will not post right away. I will be notified of your comment and I will approve the comment. I do not discriminate, I will post favorable and unfavorable comments. I will not post "sales" comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails