There is now an "election" for the Clifton/Fruitvale landowners about either annexation into Grand Junction or incorporate into a city. That is all well and good, nice that they have a choice of where they would like to live.
In my selfish way, I bring up the question; "What about me"? I live in an area that is not in the city currently and does not get a choice during the current election. I live at about 30 and D roads. Which is in an area (Pear Park),that is checker boarded with Grand Junction city and unincorporated areas between 29 and 31 roads. The voting starts at about 31 to 31 1/2 roads for annexation.
So it brings me to a bunch of questions I am curious about...
1) What happens to my area if the Clifton area decides to be annexed into Grand Junction, do we just get "sucked into" the city with Clifton at that point? I know we will become an enclave and will be added within 5 years according to state law, but wondering about the present.
2) Can the city handle that many people being added all at one time? What if they incorporate Pear Park too? Grand Junction is already cutting all the good services around town to save money.
3) If the Clifton area turns into the City of Clifton is there going to be a competition for the land in between? It might have the opposite effect both Clifton and Grand Junction may not want the Pear Park area, because there is like two businesses in the whole area, so no tax base, just a service drain.
4) Does the Persigo agreement need to be rewritten if Clifton becomes a city?
5) Is the county going to cut staff that is no longer required? For example, cutting staff at Sheriffs department because they no longer need to patrol an urban area.
6) Is there going to be a buffer zone created like exists between Fruita and Grand Junction, or Grand Junction and Palisade?
I guess right at the moment, I can seen no difference between being a part of Grand Junction, part of Clifton or just a part of the county, it just frustrates me that I don't get a choice the matter, I just get stuck with the results.
Thursday, July 23, 2009
1 comment:
Comments on Plumb and Square are moderated. Comments made within 7 days of the posting will post right away. If you make a comment after 7 days of the posting, the comment will not post right away. I will be notified of your comment and I will approve the comment. I do not discriminate, I will post favorable and unfavorable comments. I will not post "sales" comments.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Todd:
ReplyDeleteThese are my answers, which in no way reflect my knowledge of what the City and County are really up to, just my impressions based on observations and a little knowledge, which we all know can sometimes be dangerous..
1. How do you define "Clifton" or "Fruitvale"? I would think that being at 30 and D you would be more Fruitvale than Clifton, which I define as being east of 31 1/2 Road. I think the Persigo patchwork will continue to work its' way around you until you are enclaved. That's driven by development, so if the economic conditions stay the same for a while then it will take longer. That's one reason you have this crazy petition drive; the County is tired of providing urban services, and with the economy the way it is they are afraid that it will take too long for the "natural" annexation under Persigo to occur.
2. In my opinion, no.
3. Again, what do you see as the City of Clifton? I envision 31 1/2 Road to the US-6 Overpass, from I-70 to the river.
4. I don't think so. The bulk of what I see as the City of Clifton (east of 32 Rd) is part of the Clifton Sanitation District, which I don't believe is part of the 201 district and thus outside the Persigo Agreement boundaries.
5. Maybe in the short term, but if Whitewater takes off like the County is envisioning, and oil and gas picks up again around Debeque and Collbran, they'll have their hands full.
6. Only if enough forward-thinking property owners with acreage grant conservation easements to the Mesa Land Trust. Otherwise, what was Fruitvale is destined to be particle board and stucco as far as the eye can see.
John