I was thinking about the 2010 census and what states will get new congressional seats in 2010, so I started a little more in-depth research and this is what I found:
These states will change seats in the House of Representatives in 2010 census (2012 election)
Losers
Ohio -2
New York -1
New Jersey -1
Pennsylvania -1
Michigan -1
Minnesota -1
Iowa -1
Massachusetts -1
Illinois -1
Missouri -1
Louisiana -1
California -1
Gainers
Texas +4
Arizona +2
Utah +1
Nevada +1
Oregon +1
South Carolina +1
North Carolina +1
Florida +1
Georgia +1
If you look at the places that are losing representatives they are from the liberal north east and California. If you look who is gaining seats it is from the conservative based, deep south and west (fly over country). There is a multiple reasons why I think that this is happening.
There are the physical reasons like too many people in old residence, the weather is poor, older population is moving south and west to retire.
The monetary reasons like avoiding high taxes, deported jobs.
Then there is a political reason of escaping the increasing government control.
I just thought it was interesting to see what the election could look like in 2012, in the House of Representatives. but I am sure with an Obama/Acorn controlled census it won't look anything like the projections.
These projections were using 2008 population numbers. They are from this report: Election Data Services
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments on Plumb and Square are moderated. Comments made within 7 days of the posting will post right away. If you make a comment after 7 days of the posting, the comment will not post right away. I will be notified of your comment and I will approve the comment. I do not discriminate, I will post favorable and unfavorable comments. I will not post "sales" comments.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.